What do Torontonians think about waste? In the summer of 2014, the City took a survey of public ideas and thoughts on how to deal with Toronto's waste for the next 50 years.
Results of the City Long Term Waste Plan survey #1:
- 460 people completed the survey
- 83% reported using the annual waste collection calendar to get information
- 70% had not been to a City Drop-Off depot
- only 35% have been to a Community Environment Day in their ward
- People wish they could recycle: more plastics, coffee cups
- What would make it easier to create less waste and recycle/compost more: less packaging, getting green bins in their apartment or condo, and more educational information.
The results of the City survey fit with the answers and experiences of those who took our Waste Free Challenge!
Read the City's Project Update #2 to see some of the highlights of the public comments.
Read the full staff update on the Long Term Waste Plan for the January 2015 Public Works & Infrastructure Committee.